This podcast is sponsored by Alcon. Defocus Media and Dr. Christopher Lievens were compensated by Alcon for their participation. Dr. Bauman is an employee of Alcon.
When it comes to prescribing daily disposable contact lenses, eyecare providers have a lot of choices. The technology behind the design can help set different lens brands apart. PRECISION1® One-Day Lenses from Alcon employ a unique water surface lens technology, designed to meet the needs of new wearers and those new to 1-day contact lenses.
In this episode, Dr. Glover interviews Dr. Christopher Lievens, OD, MS, an expert in contact lens surface technology from Memphis, Tennessee, and Dr. Erich Bauman, OD, MBA from Alcon, one of the main designers of PRECISION1®’s surface technology. They discuss the technologies that underlie these lenses, from the fascinating design of the lens water surface technology to some points about the manufacturing process. They also talk about how the technology in these lenses differs from another well-known Alcon lens, DAILIES TOTAL1®. Finally, they review some key laboratory results that compared the surface technology of PRECISION1® lenses to several competitors.
This podcast is part of a 3-part series on PRECISION1® contact lenses.
UV-blocking contact lenses are NOT substitutes for protective UV-blocking eyewear such as UV-blocking goggle or sunglasses because they do not completely cover the eye and surrounding area.
See product instructions for complete wear, care and safety information.
- Angelini TE, Nixon RM, Dunn AC, et al. Viscoelasticity and mesh-size at the surface of hydrogels
characterized with microrheology. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013;54:E-abstract.
- Thekveli S, Qui Y, Kapoor Y, et al. Structure-property relationship of delefilcon A lenses. Contact
Lens Anterior Eye. 2012;35(Suppl 1):e14 Alcon data on file, 2019.
- PRECISION1 Contact Lenses [package insert]. Fort Worth, Tx: Alcon Vision, LLC; 2019.
- Tucker R, Leveille E, Bauman E, Subbaraman L. Characterization of the surface properties of a
novel daily disposable silicone hydrogel contact lens. Optum Vis Sci. 2019;96:E-abstract 195253.
- Alcon data on file, 2019.
- Alcon data on file, 2018.
- Cumming S, Giedd B, Pearson C. Clinical performance of a new daily disposable spherical
contact lens. Optum Vis Sci. 2019;96:E-abstract 195375. © 2020 Alcon Inc. 7/20 US-PR1-PRA-2000004