Dr. Howard Purcell started his career as a private practitioner. After ten years, he transitioned into an academic role at Nova Southeastern University as the Chief of Cornea and Contact Lenses. This opportunity led him to work in industry for Johnson and Johnson and Essilor. Now, Dr. Purcell is the CEO and President of the New England College of Optometry (NECO).
Leadership Tips from Dr. Purcell
Dr. Purcell’s unique path in industry taught him many lessons about leadership:
1. Give every project your 100% effort.
2. Be ready to learn everyday.
3. Surround yourself with people who think differently than you.
4. Listen to experienced individuals around you.
5. Take time and think through big decisions you make.
Technology and the Future of Optometry
Dr. Purcell’s experience in industry revealed the power and importance of technological advancement and integration. At NECO, he teaches his students about artificial intelligence, virtual reality, and tele-health.
If you have any questions for student doctor Jasdeep Singh Soni, feel free to contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.