Article One. Cause driven, champion designs and advocates for Optometry. Article One provides a refreshing new dimension to the optometric world. The Flint, Michigan based brand was created by Wes Stoody. Wes’s vision is to create thoughtful designs with proponents of complete brand transparency all while giving credit to craftsmen, supporting small business and giving back to our community. Defocus Media recently had the opportunity to learn more about the exceptional brand. In our interview we discussed why Article One has been coined the gateway drug into independent eyewear, their role in saving 15,000 people from Vitamin A deficiency and what the future holds for the brand.
Article One was founded to raise awareness and funding for Vitamin A deficiency in developing nations. We accomplish this mission by donating a portion of each pair sold to Helen Keller International. Article One donates $2 from each sale to Helen Keller International, and to date has raised over $12k for the foundation.
- Vitamin A Deficiency (VAD) is the number one cause of childhood blindness.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that as many as 190 million children, especially in Africa and Southeast Asia, suffer from VAD.
- Each year, it is estimated that 670,000 children will die from VAD, and
350,000 will go blind.
- Article One donates $2 from each pair of glasses sold to Helen Keller International (HKI) at the end of each quarter.
- Vitamin A supplementation is considered to be the most cost effective solution to any of the worlds health problems
- The cost of manufacturing and distributing a year’s worth of vitamin A supplements to one child is just $1.
- Each pair of Article One sold helps save the sight and lives of two children.